Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pick a quote!

 " Pick a quote that has really struck you as being an important factor in your story. Why did it speak to you? What situation did it make you think of? Can you relate to any character's predicament or situation?"

I'm reading Sherlock Holmes, The Complete Guide to the World's Most Famous Detective By Nigel Cawthorne. I'm only at the beginning right now so it's talking about what inspired the creation of Sherlock Holmes and what happened while the stories were being published. A quote that really stuck out to me though was "Doyle did not like Holmes and thought his historical novels to be more important  He famously tried to kill off Holmes in 1893 by plunging him over the Reichenbach Falls with Professor Moriarty, but was forced to revive him in The Hound of Baskervilles." I knew that Doyle tried to kill Holmes and due to the outrage by fans he had to think of a way to bring him back, but it still surprises me that he hated one of his most popular works enough to kill him off. Truthfully it reminded me of all the other Sherlock Holmes (like movies and television shows) where he and Moriarty took the plunge (and this is where I break down crying yelling "Why?" dramatically). I count myself lucky enough to say that I've never been in Holmes's situation, but in case of the author's I'm actually pretty similar. I've killed off characters in stories before, not because I hated them, but to create a better storyline, so I can't say I'm exactly like Doyle (in skill and in motive for the murder of fictional characters).

No comments:

Post a Comment